It’s that time of year once again! The time of year when the temperature drops just as fast as the leaves fall from the trees, and we crank up the heat as fast as the snow starts to come down. With winter arriving in full force, it is time to make sure our homes and commercial buildings are in tip-top shape and efficient enough to handle the tough winter ahead! Here are Custom Aire’s 4 Hot Ways to Save Energy this Winter…
- Fireplace, First – Having a warm and crackling fire is a winter essential (especially with the beautiful fireplaces Custom Aire installs!), but fireplaces can quickly increase your energy bill if you aren’t careful. You can reduce heat loss from your fireplace by opening dampers in the bottom of the firebox, or crack open the nearest window while closing doors to the room. You should even lower your thermostat setting to around 55 degrees when the fire is roaring. It is also important to have the right fireplace in your home or commercial building. If you have an older wood-burning appliance, consider upgrading to a fireplace certified by the EPA. Higher-efficiency appliances, like fireplaces, have lower emissions and are also safer, because complete combustion helps to prevent a buildup of flammable chimney deposits.
- Check Your Temperature – Although winter can be unbearably cold, it is important to not overcompensate for the chilly weather by making your office building or home as hot as can be. To save on energy costs, set your thermostat as low as you are comfortable with (without having to put on mittens!). It is also important to set your thermostat back 10 – 15 degrees when you are either away from the office or asleep in your home. Why should you be racking up your bill if you are not even there?!
- Use Efficient Lighting – During the holiday season, who can resist those twinkly holiday lights? Although they are sparkly and invite holiday cheer, holiday lights can raise your energy bill if you are not careful. Whether you are decorating your office or your home, make sure you purchase LED lights to decorate with, and make sure they are made by ENERGY-STAR qualified brands. Did you know that residential LEDs use at least 75% less energy, and last 25 times longer than incandescent lighting? This also makes LED lights ideal for your commercial building!
Don’t Forget the Little Things – Energy adds up, especially in the winter when we want to be as comfortable as possible. However, keep in mind there are little things you can do to keep that bill down (it really is the little things that count!).
- Let the sunshine in! Pull back those curtains and bask in the natural heat from the sun when you are able.
- Rearrange your furniture – either in your office, bedroom, or living room – so you are sitting by interior walls, and not catching the chilly draft from the window.
- Turn off your electronics when you are not using them, like computers. Don’t forget to put them to sleep when taking breaks, and shut them down at the end of the day.
Winter can often be frigid and unbearable, but by using these energy-saving tips and staying conscious about your energy usage, your energy bill will be as low as the outside temperature!