Welcome back to Custom Aire Central! Here at Custom Aire, we strive to do our best on every project that we are a part of. This means paying close attention to every detail and going above and beyond general guidelines and standards. We are honored to have been the prime mechanical contractor on the University of North Dakota’s Gorecki Alumni Center, a project that took the details very seriously. The Gorecki Alumni Center’s goal was LEED certification, and not only is this project LEED certified, but they received the highest level attainable and became Platinum certified. The Gorecki Center also holds the honor of being the first alumni building erected to these standards in the country!
What goes into a project by a mechanical contractor that receives the highest level of green building certification, you may ask? Well, we are here to tell you just that.
When a building is rated on achieving LEED status it is based on a seven-part scorecard with numerous subcategories. The scorecard’s main areas include:
- Sustainable Sites
- Water Efficiency
- Energy & Atmosphere
- Material & Resources
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Regional Priority Credits
Custom Aire has a hand in many of the areas rated on the LEED scorecard; here are a few standouts:
- Water Efficiency and Regional Priority:
- Install fixtures that contribute to the reduction of water usage, including waterless urinals, which can result in a water use reduction of more than 35%.
- Energy and Atmosphere:
- Develop the operations and maintenance systems manual, while providing training to key personnel so the systems are used at the most efficient level possible.
- Enhance refrigerant management, which contributes to minimized depletion of the ozone and global climate change. This is accomplished by utilizing mechanical equipment and refrigerants that are in compliance with strict protocols.
- Track renewable energy sources such as geothermal and solar-collecting mechanical equipment with a state-of-the-art energy usage dashboard system that gives up-to-date feedback on energy consumption and usage, allow for cost savings of 40% or greater.
- Indoor Environmental Quality:
- Assure indoor air quality upon occupancy by engaging with associated management and adhering to building flush-out requirements that help maintain optimum humidity levels and internal temperature as part of the Indoor Air Quality Management plan prior to occupancy.
- A permanent outdoor air delivery monitoring system detects proper carbon dioxide levels, creating an environment that is not only cost effective, but healthy and comfortable for occupants.
- We also prioritize the use of adhesives and sealants that comply with the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) for volatile organic compound (VOC) limits and restrictions. This includes things like contact adhesives, plastic welding cement, and metal-to-metal sealants.
- Even our fabrication shop can have an impact by staying compliant with Sheet Metal & Air Conditioning Contractors National Association (SMACNA) Indoor Air Quality Management standards related to HVAC equipment and ductwork during construction.
As the prime mechanical contractor on your green project, Custom Aire can help you design, build and complete your project to the highest level of green guidelines, not to mention conserving the valuable resources around us. We are honored to have been a part of such a groundbreaking and environmentally conscious building as the Gorecki Alumni Center, and look forward to discussing your project needs! Contact us today.